This artist date idea encompasses the outdoors, as well as the creation of mixed media art. Brining in the new spring season after a rough winter provides a sense of renewal not only through new growth in nature, but also in new artistic opportunities to embrace. Take yourself on an artist date focusing on container gardening.
For this artist date, you will need the following materials:
- Art journal
- Drawing materials
- Digital or standard (disposable is also fine) camera
- Business sized envelopes
- Zip lock sandwich bags
- Ballpoint pen
- Bottled water
- A snack for yourself
On this artist date, try accomplishing one or more of the following:
- Go for a walk in your neighborhood or a neighborhood you would like to explore. Take pictures and draw pictures of container gardens you come across. Introduce yourself to any neighbors you come across that you have not met yet.
- Visit home improvement stores and collect magazines, freebie catalogs, and sales flyers with container gardens depicted. Visit the paint chip section, as well, and collect samples of colors matching the items you collected in the rest of the store.
- Take pictures (and) or draw pictures of your own container gardens. Or, create some pictures or paintings of a container garden you dream of creating.
- Collect seed packets, how-to brochures, and pamphlets to create collages from and to use to create container gardens of your own.
- Gather wild flowers (daisies, buttercups, etc.) to press and incorporate into future mixed media art projects.
- Purchase flowerpots to alter using various mixed media elements and techniques, and then add plants to them.
- Explore a botanical garden for things to photograph, items to collect, and places to sit down and draw. There may also be unique flowerpots or other containers you would like to purchase for future altering projects.
- If there is a nursery or greenhouse nearby, visit there for container garden inspiration as well as additional opportunities for photography and drawing.
While on your artist date, take some time to relax and drink in the moments. Enjoy the snack you brought along and be sure to drink plenty of water. If you chose not to bring a snack and a drink, consider visiting a coffee house and write in your journal (or draw in it) about the adventure you have taken yourself on. Take your time! This is for you to enjoy!
The photographs taken during this artist date will offer a wide variety of art project opportunities. Everything from collages, to assemblage, to art journal work (and everything in between) can be worked on with these photographs. Be sure to make numerous copies so you can cut them up, alter them, and use them over and over.